Thursday, February 14, 2008

A Mother's Valentine Prayer -- from Cathy Chayko 2/14/2008

Hello to all of you—and happy Valentine’s Day.

On this Valentine’s Day, as we celebrate love, we celebrate the gift of God’s goodness and mercy.
We celebrate God, really, as God is love (1 John 4:8). I think it is relevant that God’s love is not defined or qualified in this passage. Romantic love, family love, friend love, it is all God.


Therefore there is no “us” and “them”. We are all beloved, and our love is of God.

I send all of you my best thoughts and prayers on this day. I also pray for God’s love to infuse this earth in a way that allows for some real change in the way we view our responsibilities as lovers.


I pray that we all strive to adopt the radical teachings of Jesus on love, such as:

  • Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you" (Matthew 5:44)
  • Let us love one another (1 John: 4)

Therefore I pray for an end to the violence and destruction of warfare, and most certainly an end to the mindset that preemptive warfare is justified. I pray that we hold fast to His teaching :



  • Do you notice the splinter in your brother's eye, but do not perceive the wooden beam in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me remove that splinter from your eye,' while the wooden beam is in your eye? (Matthew 7: 3-4)

I pray for the election of leaders who recognize that “support of life” extends beyond the womb, and encompasses an end to war-mongering, torture and capital punishment, as well as protection of our wildlife, air and water.

I pray that our nation begin to really work to reverse the climate changes of our vulnerable planet, which we have selfishly consumed without giving back.

I pray for intolerance to poverty, which we have the technology and resources to end. Jesus’ teachings on care of the poor and outcast are too numerous for me to list and still get the kids to school on time! Obviously He recognized that we need repeated instruction regarding this issue.

I pray for leaders who are outraged that 40,000 children die every day from malnutrition, starvation and hunger-related diseases.

I pray for a world and national politic driven by love and tolerance instead of fear and divisiveness. For certainly God’s love transcends the divisions of geographical border, race, creed, and political party.

I hope that your day is filled with many kinds of Love,
Cath


No comments: